Single-use plastic and CO2 emissions are some of the biggest sources of pollution right now. Sometimes it can be overwhelming to think about, but in reality, small changes can add up and have a huge impact on the world. That’s why one of my goals this year is to try and make more sustainable choices at home. After researching for awhile, I found some brands that are really paving the way when it come to a “greener” home. I’ve highlighted them below. I also included some ideas on how you can make green choices at home with me this year!
Brands focusing on making cleaning sustainable:
- GROVE COLLABORATIVE
- Today they are 100% plastic neutral, with goals of becoming completely plastic-free by 2025. (they are the first plastic-neutral company in the world).
- Grove is also carbon neutral shipments and facilities, with goals of reducing their entire footprint.
- They support reforestation with Seedling and have it a goal to replant 1 million trees by this year.
- Everything they sell at Grove has met strict standards for non-toxicity, efficacy, and sustainability and is cruelty-free.
- BRANCH BASICS
- On a mission to make the ingredients in cleaning products non-toxic.
- Their products have helped eliminate over 1 billion single use plastic bottles from landfills and oceans since 2019.
- Like Grove, they are a carbon neutral company, since 2020.
- All of the brand’s packaging is recyclable, compostable or both.
- DR. BRONNER’S
- They use 100% post-consumer recycled plastic bottles for all of their liquid and pump soaps! Aka they practice “bottle to bottle” recycling.
- Committed to reducing their footprint, the brand
- One of the brand’s behind the reusable paper towel, their towels replace 17 rolls of paper towel and are anti-bacterial and compostable.
- Made up of cellulose and cotton, these towels are non absorbent and dry extremely quickly, which helps prevent bacteria from festering.
- EARTH BREEZE
- A company on a mission to change the way we do laundry. They’ve created a 0% plastic laundry detergent that starts as a sheet and dissolves into detergent within seconds in hot or cold water.
- The product itself and its packaging is all biodegradable!
- Every sale helps fund beach cleanups and tree plantings. They also partner with charities to distribute meals and laundry detergent to those in need.
Small Green Choices at Home, by Room:
Below are some simple ideas on how you can make green choices at home, other than buying plastic-free or sustainable products like I talked about above. Choose one, two or all. Even the smallest change has a huge impact!
- Sub your TP with Tree-free toilet paper. Reel is plastic-free and tree-free and actually feels sturdy and soft. It doesn’t feel like other recycled toilet papers.
- Avoid bathroom cleaners with harsh or toxic chemicals and ingredients that can have an effect on your health (and your animals!).
- Shop for clothes second hand, whether it be at your local thrift store or online using stores like ThredUp or Poshmark. Fashion specifically has a huge environmental impact on the world. Many materials are just plastic with a fancier name or blend.
- Choose to purchase from brands that are making efforts to be sustainable.
CAR / STORE
- Keep a stash of reusable bags in your car so you never forget to use them when you’re at the grocery store!
- Bring a refillable water bottle instead of plastic when you leave the house.
- Opt to buy grains, nuts and other items in bulk. Bring your own glass jars or containers instead of using the plastic bags at the grocery.
- When shopping at the grocery, choose to buy produce that’s in season – aka didn’t have to travel far to land in your local groceries!
- Like I talked about above, start using refillable glass bottles for your cleaning products!
- Instead of using a bunch of paper towels, start using reusable cloths or rags.
- Research recycling and composting in your area.
- Try to reduce the amount of meat you’re eating. Maybe try a meatless Monday!
- Try using wool dryer balls instead of single-use dryer sheets. You can even sprinkle a drop or two of essential oil on them before tossing them into the dryer for a scent.
- Decorate your home using real plants and greenery. Did you know plants help purify the air?
- Remember to turn off your lights when you leave the room!
- Choose to receive bills, tax forms, and other documents paperless.