Valentine’s Day pushes us to be creative in the way we express our love for others. Some may feel an overwhelming amount of pressure to sweep someone off their feet, but a great Valentine’s Day can be achieved without a grand gesture. To make your loved one feel special on this holiday I would suggest thinking about it as an entire day, not just a night out. Whether you get to be with your special someone that day or not, you can still incorporate holiday celebrations through the entire day.
- Split the day- If planning for holidays is hard for you, make a plan to split the day- one of you plans the morning and the other takes the evening.
- Start with breakfast- If you do get to be together on this holiday, start with breakfast. Even if you’re not a morning person, wake up a little bit earlier and have a sit down breakfast together. The breakfast doesn’t have to be fancy or expensive, just something you both enjoy. This can also be achieved via Facetime if you aren’t in the same place.
- Valentine’s Day cards- During breakfast is when I would suggest exchanging Valentine’s Day cards, this way the other person will have you stuck in their head all day long.
- Don’t forget about each other during the day- If you have the funds, you can surprise your Valentine at work. It doesn’t have to be chocolates or flowers, it could just be sending them their favorite lunch. If a work surprise isn’t possible, still make sure you communicate throughout the entire day, remind them how and why you love them so much!
- Have an evening plan- Make sure you both have something to look forward to when coming home, you both should confirm a plan before the holiday, even if you leave a few surprises. You don’t want the other person to feel like an after thought. This plan does not need to be extravagant to be special. Just consider what you and your loved one enjoy most, whether that’s food or music or movies, and do something centered around what you are happiest doing together. Something like a home cooked meal can be very special when it’s paired with your favorite drink and set up nicely with candles.
The most important thing when trying to make Valentine’s Day special, is not to get lost in the cost or a grand gesture, but to make the other person feel like they are loved no matter what. Just make your partner the priority, when you are together make it all about you two and your relationship, if you keep that in mind when planning it’s hard to go wrong!