Ever since I became a mom, I’ve made it my mission to give my honest opinions and reviews on all things pregnancy, postpartum and baby. There is so much information out there and a lot of it doesn’t shine a true light on the difficulties we face as new moms. One of the first things I talked about since giving birth is my breastfeeding journey. If you missed that, I go in-depth in this blog. Now, I want to talk about my postpartum hair loss.
This is so common for women during postpartum as our hormones are readjusting. What people don’t tell you is that sometimes, the hair never comes back. I’ve always had full, but fine hair. My mom had similar hair to me, but she gave birth and started to lose it. Now, she has super fine & thin hair that she struggles with. When my hair started to fall out, I freaked out. I didn’t want to end up in a similar situation as my mom (unhappy with my hair).
At first I thought I might not experience hair loss because I didn’t start noticing anything until around four months postpartum. Around five months postpartum, the hair loss started to get bad. I noticed balding spots around the crown of my hair and my hair felt thinner.
I tried a couple of things to resolve the issue, but nothing seemed to be working – until I discovered liquid collagen.
My Solution: Liquid Collagen
I’ve always known that collagen supplements are very recommended to people after your early 20s because production starts to slow until around 40 when our collagen drop dramatically. Collagen is one of the primary building blocks for our bones, skin, hair, muscles, ligaments and tendons. It is what keeps our skin plump, hydrated and wrinkle-free. It also helps with hair and nail growth.
I have been taking powdered collagen for awhile and started paying even more attention to it after the injury to my right leg during birth. I really wanted to start working out again, so I started seeing a PT and doing other things to help my leg joints, muscles and tissues.
My friend Ellen turned me on to this company called Modere, which sells liquid collagen (among other things). After doing more research, I discovered that our bodies have to work harder to extract nutrients from powdered and pilled collagen supplements. We really only absorb about 30%. With liquid collagen, we absorb around 90% and it is more quickly and efficiently absorbed into the bloodstream!
Types of Modere Collagen
What’s really cool about Modere is the amount of research they have put into their products. They have also been scientifically tested and backed (The company has been awarded multiple awards and patents). They also have different types of collagen based on what your body needs. I’ve broken down the various types below!
- LIFE: I think this one is great to start with. It improves joint molbility and discomfort, while promoting your tissues and hair, skin, nails and eyes. It’s an all around winner. I haven’t tried all of the kinds, but this one tastes like concentrated pomegranate juice!
- PURE: This is very similar to their LIFE collagen, minus the sugar! It doesn’t taste as good, but it doesn’t have sugar.
- SPORT: Formulated for athletes, this collagen fuels physical and mental performance! It helps aid in mobility and recovery from sports or the gym. It also supports energy, stamina and focus. I got this for Bryan and he’s been loving it! He said it tastes like a Pina Colada shot!
- IMMUNITY: This is a newer product and I’m obsessed! Along with the collagen benefits of life, it also has Elderberry, Zinc and other superfoods to help up your body’s immunity.
- SKIN: This has all the benefits of LIFE along with Ceramides 17 other superfoods such as pomegranate, bamboo and green tea that support healthy hair, nails, gums and eyes!
To be honest, you really can’t go wrong with any of them, so use the fun little quiz above to help you decide!
My Results Timeline
Keep in mind everyone’s results are different, and it’s pretty common not to see results for 3-4 months, but I started seeing changes as soon as 1 month!
- MONTH ONE: My skin was visibly more plump, which is huge for a new mom. I actually thought it looked like I had gotten botox and filler – that alone is glorious.
- MONTH TWO: I felt more relief in my joints, which was great news for my leg injury. I also started noticing my eyelashes were growing like crazy.
- MONTH TWO – THREE: The bald spots I had around the crown of my head were filling in with brand new baby hairs.
- MONTH FOUR+: My bald spots are almost completely filled in on both sides. I can tell my hair is healthier and can see the growth.
Other Products from Modere
If you are interested in other products by Modere – let me know! I’ve tried a ton. Some of the other products that I think are holy grail worthy are Trim and their Self Tanner.
Trim: I started using this after I stopped breastfeeding. I was trying to drop the weight I had gained through pregnancy and my postpartum injury. This is not a miracle – it is an enhancement. On top of using this, I am eating way healthier and working out consistently.
Cellproof Sunless Tanning Foam: – This is a newer product and I’m obsessed. It it infused with BioCell Collagen, which helps the appearance of skin tone and elasticity.
Make sure you use my referral code: 2741571 to get $10 off your first purchase!